March 25, 2006

What I am

I am
Not because of the clothes I wear
The places I go
The people I see
The songs I love
The rhythms I dance to
The books I read
The space I was born into
The parents I have
The food I eat
The jokes I laugh at
The way I walk
The way I talk
The colours I like
The way I cut my hair
The car I drive
The work I do
I am not african
Because of all these things
I am african
Because that is the soil I breath
And the way my heart beats

That is my essence

I am african
Without definition

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is only to help a fellow poet dont take it personal. this lacks flow. good idea, but it surly cant be your best work. keep trying. maybe rewright the poem.(yeah right, ive never re written a poem.) keep your head up or down which ever works better for you and keep up the good work.

swati said...

I disagree to a point. The flow might not be the best, but it gets the message across.We are in an era where to be African means to rock Sun Goddess gear and have an excuse to hace scruffy hair. And if you dont follow what evryone thibks is African, then u are a sell out. I like it coz i agree with what u saying

Lata